• Clear All

Common Causes of Electrical Fires in Homes

An overloaded surge protector.

What Are Common Causes of Electrical Fires?

Electrical fires are one of the most common types of fires in homes. In fact, according to the National Fire Protection Association, they account for more than 45,000 fires each year. That's why it's important to know what the most common causes of electrical fires are, so that you can take steps to prevent them from happening in your home. In this blog post, Comalli Group, Inc. will discuss some of the most common causes of electrical fires, and provide tips on how to avoid them.

Outdated Wiring

One of the most common causes of electrical fires is outdated wiring. If your home has old knob-and-tube wiring or any other type of outdated wiring, it's time to have it replaced. Outdated wiring is a major fire hazard and should be updated as soon as possible.

Space Heaters

Another common cause of electrical fires is space heaters. Space heaters are great for providing extra warmth in a room, but they can also be dangerous if used improperly. Make sure that you always follow the manufacturer's instructions when using a space heater, and never leave it unattended while it's on.

Using the Wrong Light Fixtures

Using the wrong light fixtures can also lead to electrical fires. If you're using light bulbs that are too powerful for your light fixtures, they can overheat and cause a fire. Always check the manufacturer's recommendations for the correct type of light bulb to use in your fixtures.

Outdated Appliance Cords

Worn-out or frayed appliance cords can cause serious issues if they are plugged in. This is because a dangerous amount of heat can come from a frayed cord being plugged into an outlet. Your safest option is to have the cords repaired or install new appliances.

Overusing Extension Cords

Extension cords should only be used when needed, and larger appliances should never be plugged into them. If you find yourself constantly using extension cords, it most likely means you do not have enough outlets in your home. Having new outlets installed is much safer than using extension cords.

Overloading Outlets

Finally, outlet overloads are another common cause of electrical fires. If you have too many appliances plugged into one outlet, it can overload the circuit and cause a fire. To avoid this, be sure to plug only one appliance into each outlet, and never exceed the wattage rating for an outlet.

By following these tips, you can help prevent electrical fires from happening in your home. If you have any concerns about the safety of your home's electrical system, be sure to contact Comalli Group, Inc. for help at (413) 213-3661.

Related Reading:

Pittsfield Electrical Services | Outlets and Switches Services