What comes to mind when you think of electricity? Most people think of electricity as what keeps our lights on at home, how we’re able to watch TV, warm up a meal, and use our appliances. Having electricity might seem like quite the luxury considering it makes our lives easier in many ways, but it still has its risks that many homeowners should know about.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, electrical failures and malfunctions were the second leading cause of U.S. home fires from 2012-2016. It’s very important for homeowners to know about basic electrical safety for their home and the warning signs that professional repair might be needed.
Keep on reading for some electrical tips to follow to ensure a safe home for you and your family!
Use the Correct Wattage for Appliances and Fixtures
It’s always a good thing to double check that you’re using the correct wattage in your appliances and fixtures as this can prevent electrical problems. Go around your house and check that your lamps, ceiling fixtures and appliances are all being used with the right wattage.
Don’t Overload Outlets
Plugging in too many devices at once can overload your outlet, which leads to electrical problems. Since outlets are designed to deliver a certain amount of electricity, overloading them could cause a small explosion or fire. Most homeowners might not realize this, but overloaded outlets are a common cause of electrical problems. If you have multiple devices to plug in, it’s recommended to use a surge-protection power strip.
Try Not to Use Extension Cords
If you feel the need to use extension cords around your home, it might be time to call Comalli Group, Inc. to install additional outlets in your home. Extension cords can be quite hazardous, especially if they are on the floor throughout your home. Family members and guests could trip over the cord and injure themselves. Further damage can be done to the wall itself if someone trips over the cord and it’s ripped out of the outlet.
Keep Devices Away from Water
This goes without saying, but water and electricity do not go together. To prevent electrical shock and further injuries, keep all of your electrical devices away from water and always make sure your hands are dry before using your appliances or plugging something into an outlet.
Pro tip: If you spill something on your counters or floors near an outlet, wipe it up right away to avoid plugs getting wet.
Unplug Unused Appliances
Appliances like toasters, coffee machines, and air fryers should be unplugged when they aren’t being used. Not only does this save power, but it prevents the appliances from overheating.
Repair and Replace Damaged Outlets
If your outlet covers are warm to the touch, sparking, or giving off a burnt plastic smell, contact Comalli Group, Inc. right away. The warmth is most likely coming from the worn terminals and this problem requires immediate attention.
Repair and Replace Damaged Electrical Cords
When electrical cords show signs of fraying or cracking, they need to be repaired or replaced depending on the severity of the damage. When power cords are damaged like this, they can cause fires and electrical shock, posing a safety hazard to you and your household. Never let your cords run under rugs or furniture as they can overheat and become damaged by the furniture.
Keep Younger Children Away from Outlets
With little ones running around at home, it’s a known fact that they are curious about everything. If you have toddlers at home who love to explore, make sure you put tamper-resistant safety covers on all of your outlets. Tidying up cords that are left lying around will also prevent your kids from tripping over them or tugging on them.
At Comalli Group, Inc., we understand the importance of keeping your home safe, and starting with electrical safety is a huge step in the right direction. For any and all electrical services, we’re your go-to team! Contact us today or give us a call at (413) 213-3661 for all of your electrical safety needs.